Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Legacy Not Forgotten...150th Civil War Anniversary Tribute


It is no secret...I'm a true southern belle. I come c0mplete with twirling parasol, frequent batting of eyelashes, and the darlin' accent to prove it. The truth is...I'm proud of my southern heritage and this year has been an ongoing journey through the past as our country remembers the Civil War on its Sesquicentennial Anniversary.

Throughout the south you can find weekly events such as reenactments, parades, and picnics to honor our fallen ancestors. As a fan of historical romance, I've attended several such events to observe the clothing and absorb as many details as I can about the time period.

As an author, it has lead me to wonder about all the potential for novels set in the era that have largely gone unwritten and/or unpublished.

If you ask most people to name a book set in this era, they'd easily come up with Gone With the Wind. A number of men might name Gods and Generals. Maybe some would come up with Cold Mountain. I can even scrounge up a school age memory of reluctantly reading Red Badge of Courage (due to the extremely unfair boredom it caused on my required reading list many years ago).

But why aren't there more romance novels set in this era? And I mean set in the states (whether they be northern or southern) and why don't we hear much about them?

So, I set out to find some of these novels and came across one written by the dynamic duo of authors who make up the writing team of Terry Campbell. Their civil war time travel epic novel entitled Craigs' Legacy is exactly the kind of book that I desire to consume with a passion for interesting, passionate, highly addictive historical fiction.

What the book is about?

Here's the blurb:

She’s from the twenty-first century…

Thrust back in time, Frankie Mathews is the quintessential fish out of water. She’s gone from running a major money market fund to a world where women milk cows. Too bad for Frankie that the nearest she’s ever been to a cow is a “Got Milk” commercial. Now, she has to save the life of Confederate Colonel Benjamin Craig and return to her own century with him in tow, before she changes history beyond recognition—and gets killed in the process.


He’s been fighting the Civil War in 1864…

To survive the Union deserters and his grasping, widowed sister-in-law, Ben needs Frankie’s quick thinking and never-give-up attitude that comes from her independence as a 21st Century woman.


But can the two lovers span the centuries between them and find a common future?



What I thought of the book?

We often like to romanticize what life would be like during "simpler" times. Times when there was no technology and everyone shared meals at the table instead of on t.v. trays in the den. But this book just goes to show that living in the past might not be all it is cracked up to be and the modern conveniences we take for granted would become major inconveniences and sorely missed were we to take an adventure like Frankie does in this story.

This book was an absolute riot, a romp through time that leaves no heart string untugged and a tribute to a love that is purely timeless!

Why you should buy a copy?


Craigs' Legacy is a well written, highly accurate accounting of what it might be like for a modern girl to suddenly find herself in the 19th century--unprepared and utterly aggravated. Plus the fact that it is tee-totally fun and a terrific page turner that will stay with you long after you've read the last page.

Where can you pick up a copy?

Click here!


Know of any other great Civil War era romances that I should read? Share them with me today, won't you?

In the meantime, get out there, enjoy the year long journey through time. Who knows...you might get inspired to write the next Gone With the Wind. And even if you don't, the abundant tributes to all the lost souls should touch a place in your heart no matter from which side of the Mason-Dixon Line you observe.

Sincerely Southern,

Kerri Nelson
Owner, The Book Boost

8 comments:

Gossip Cowgirl said...

I highly suggest reading Johanna Lindsay's "One" series from the Civil War era. "One Wore Blue" and "One Wore Grey" and "One Rode West". They were my favorite romance novels, growing up. :)

Bobbye Terry said...

Thanks for reviewing Craigs' Legacy and posting it on your site, Kerri! I so appreciate it as I know Linda does as well.

I'm also very pleased you enjoyed it. This book is very special to us both.

Bobbye Terry, half of the writing team of Terry Campbell

Mona Karel said...

"Yankee Stranger" by Elswyth Thane. Not a new book but as you say the Civil War was a long time ago. Also, not romance, but Bruce Catton wrote some excellent Civil War novels.

Chassily Wakefield said...

I have to plug my gal pal's first book, a Civil War romance - "Thorns of Eden" by Diana Ballew will be out later this year from Red Rose and is guaranteed to be a steamy, emotional romance. I can't wait for it to be out!

My favorite Civil War romance of old is Kathleen E. Woodiwiss's "Ashes In the Wind." LOVE that book!

Susan Macatee said...

I'm reading one now, titled 'Angel in My Arms' by Victoria Gray. It's a sequel to her Civil War romance, 'Destiny'.

I also have two CW romances of my own I'd like to plug. A time travel, titled 'Erin's Rebel' and a romance about an Irish woman soldier, 'Confederate Rose'.

Chassily Wakefield said...

WHOOOPS!!! Huge mistake above, so sorry! Diana Ballew's first novel, "Thorns of Eden" will be out soon from WILD Rose, NOT Red Rose! Gah! I knew that! Sorry, sorry, sorry!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I love that I finally have a Kindle and can order these stories when I hear about them. Craigs' Legacy sounds wonderful. I am not a Southerner by birth, but by heart. I love the South and the people and history. Some of my ancestors come from a plantation in Virginia so maybe I inherited some Southern genes!

Thanks for sharing, Kerri.

Debby Lee said...

Hi Kerri, I'm suprised nobody mentioned the North and /south Trilogy by John Jakes. There were two mini series about it in the 1980's with Patrick Swayze and George Reed.
Thesew are my favorite Civil War stories. The historical accuracy is impecable. The plot is very realistic and of course there's plenty of romance and drama thrown in. An absolutely fantasitic set of books. BTW, I also have the mini series in a DVD collection.