Monday, March 5, 2012
The Big Easy, Bigger Fun, & The Biggest Beignet! With Book Boost Owner & Author Kerri Nelson
I survived the Big Easy and the First Annual Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Chapter's Conference "Fantasy on the Bayou"!
That's me (above) polishing off a bag of beignets at the legendary Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter. Okay, well I had some help from hubby and son who accompanied me on the trip. And I took the pic for the Scavenger Hunt but never turned it in because we were out late on a Trolley adventure featuring a delay due to "someone laying their head on the tracks" (but that's another story for another day).
In fact, there were way too many adventures to re-cap here but I've listed my Top Ten fave moments of the conference--along with some pics--below. Hope you enjoy and if you were there in "N'awlins", tell me who dat, okay cher? (cher = New Orleans Translation: An expression many use when greeting another..."Dear, Love")?
Kerri's Top Ten Fave Moments in NOLA (in no particular order):
1. Meeting FF&P chapter mates at long last (too many to list for fear of leaving out anyone but you know who you are and big smooches to you, my friends).
2. Teaching my "Take Me Out to the CALL game Pitch Class" and hearing back from students that their pitches were a success!
3. Attending a book signing alongside "big timers" like Angie Fox, Maggie Shayne, and Leanna Renee Hieber!
In fact, the adorable Angie, the lovely Leanna, the fantastic Farrah Rochon (Louisiana author and my table mate at the signing), and myself are all current/previous authors from Dorchester Publishing and celebrated the fact that these Lollies have moved upward and onward. Here we are at the signing on Sunday:
4. The Keynote Luncheon speech by Maggie Shayne--a laugh out loud and tear-jerker all rolled into one. Consider me a fan for life, Ms. Shayne.
5. The FOOD, the FOOD, and did I mention the FOOD in New Orleans? From the eternally elegant, bow tie shrimp pasta in garlic white wine sauce to the belly busting, Po Boy bread pudding to the finger licking, fried chicken from Willie Mae's! Mmm Mmm good!
6. Meeting my Book Boost family members such as the bestselling beauty, Rebecca Zanetti (here we are at the signing):
7. Riding the Trolley all the way to the end of the line and viewing a breathtaking night wedding in progress outside one of the historic Garden District homes. Cutting up with our trolley driver & "Go Saints"!
8. Enjoying the FREE Ferry Boat ride across the Mississippi River and watching the amazement in my son's eyes all the way.
9. Attending the fast-paced, mind bending, and uber-informative class held by Bob Mayer. Here's a pic of meet meeting Bob:
10. Absorbing the all the magical, mystical, haunting, paranormal, and creative vibes that the always wild and forever wanton New Orleans has to offer.
And for those of you who need a little help feeling sexy after a long, tiring weekend of events, here's a Voodoo Goddess friend that might do the trick.
All in all, it was mega fun and thanks to all who helped get this event rolling and kept it running. As the Vice President of FF&P, a special thanks to all who attended and safe travels home.
Oh, and in all the excitement, I almost forgot about MY new release (which just so happens to be paranormal, go figure!) releasing today from Evernight Publishing entitled, Forstaken.
Check it out here:
Until next time, Big Easy...
Laissez le Bon temp rouler!
Owner, The Book Boost