Friday, April 20, 2012

You Must Be Mistaken with Guest Blogger: Denise Robbins


Welcome romantic thriller author
Denise Robbins to the Book Boost!



She's here to discuss her writerly type mistakes and here's what she had to say...



Hm, well, I make mistakes every day. Seriously! Whenever I write I have typos, grammatical errors, and storyline errors. One time I actually had a character who stuck an envelope in her pants/panties and when she later went to the restroom I completely forgot that it was supposed to be there. The funny thing is, even my first round editor missed that faux pas.


My biggest mistake as a writer came before I was published. My biggest mistake was in almost giving up. Almost. After months and months of submitting and waiting, sending in partials and full manuscripts and even having one company go so far as asking me to make edits, I did not receive an offer. Can you say "frustrated"?


I was literally a day away from giving up, not sending out another query letter or synopsis. If not for my ex-husband I would have. Even at the time he was my ex. We spoke on the phone and I told him I was done. I was going to throw in the towel. He convinced me that I had worked too hard to just let them win and that I owed myself another shot.


Oh – my – gosh! I was so glad I took his advice. Literally, that night I sent out one more query. They requested the full manuscript. Two weeks after that I had an offer from my publisher L&L Dreamspell.


What’s the moral of this story? NEVER EVER give up.


A Note from the Book Boost: I think every author has these "throw in the towel" moments. I know I do and have in the past. But if you're really a writer--you simply won't be able to let go of the dream. I'm glad you stuck with yours and the new book sounds great! Thanks for joining us today, Denise. Please tell us more.


Blurb:

All she wanted was to find love. Was that too much to ask? How difficult could it be to find one man, the perfect man for her?

After dating the losers of the century, Jane decides there has to be a better way. She turns to an online dating service. After all, they guarantee a ‘happily ever after’ or your money back.
Jane East, CEO of Not-So- Plain- Jane’s organic cosmetics wants to fall in love with a man who makes her toes curl when he kisses her. Unfortunately, the one man who makes her toes curl also wears ladies’ pink underwear and a badge. The pink underwear she could probably deal with, but the badge is a different story.

Ever since seeing her mother and granny Pearl murdered by men with badges, Jane has a fear of cops and anyone who carries a badge. Especially, because the killers are still on the loose and searching for her.

Former FBI Cybercrime special agent turned small-town Chief of Police, Cooper Chance, gets caught with his pants down and his family jewels tucked in pink ladies’ underwear with lacy frills when he meets the woman of his dreams. That’s not his only issue. The woman has a fear of cops. If he can get past her guard, maybe he can save her life.


Excerpt:

Cooper went into his office, shut the door, and closed the blinds. “No way can I pull this off,” he protested holding up the leather skirt and heels. He stripped down to his skivvies and slid into the black leather skirt. “No way!” His damn boxers hung too low, below the skirt hem.

“Shit,” he growled and raked fingers through his hair. Just listen to him, he already sounded like a girl talking about hems.


“That’s why we included the ladies’ panties,” someone shouted back. Muffled chuckling rumbled behind his locked office door.


He riffled through the pile and found a pair of bright pink panties with ruffles and the tags still on them. “You’ve got to be kidding!”


The raucous laughter and low snickering that met his complaint burned his ass. What made him think that becoming the Chief of Police of a small town would be simple, easy? He must have been nuts. At least if he had been in a big city, like New York, Boston, or Minneapolis, he might not have felt so ridiculous. He would have fit in with any number of transgenders who walked the street. But here, in Manchester, New Hampshire he would stick out like a wolf in a pack of cats.


“Do women really wear this kind of underwear?”


“Panties,” one of the men shouted from the outer office.


“Panties,” he grumbled out the corner of his mouth. He held the silky material and eyed it with caution half expecting his men to supply him with a thong. Air wheezed out of his lungs when he saw that there was material on all sides and not some tiny strip that would ride up his ass.

Just the thought of it made his shoulders shiver.


Before he lost his nerve, Cooper stripped off his cotton boxers and stuffed his beefy legs into the pink panties. When the underwear reached halfway up his thighs, he heard a popping noise. He glanced down and saw the elastic in the leg holes had ripped apart. “Not one size fits all, are they?”




Want More Denise?

High-tech becomes high-risk in Denise Robbins’ novels. The New Hampshire based author uses two decades of experience in computers to explore the killer possibilities in technology. Denise integrates her knowledge of computers and technology along with secrets, intrigue, suspense, and even a little romance into all of her techno-romantic thriller novels. Readers and reviewers agree Denise writes stories that will keep you at the edge of your seat and clamoring for more.


Visit her on the web here: http://www.deniserobbins.com

Pick up your copy of the book today! Click here.

No comments: