Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Time to Grow With Guest Blogger: Heather Smith


Welcome Writer Heather Smith
to the Book Boost today!

She's here to chat about how she's grown in writing and in life and here's what she had to say...


This year has been full of changes for me. It was a year ago this month that I landed my first full-time writing job. I had been pursuing a writing job for years. Well, seriously for two years and sort of hopelessly for a few years before that. You see, I never thought I could make a living as a writer. I mean, creative fields are not exactly known for their living wages and steady employment. However, a few years ago I decided that my writing was no longer a hobby, but what I wanted to do with my life.

Once I realized that writing was not going to go away, I started looking for little jobs here and there. A small publication, a few articles online, and even writing preparation guides and practice tests for local schools. One thing lead to another until I was pretty confident that I could make some income as a freelance writer and just work my boring retail job to make up the rest of my income.

Then the worst happened. My retail job went down the drain. Now, jobless and on the search for steady income, I was desperate enough to apply to almost any job that paid. I applied everywhere and heard back from a couple that wanted to pay just barely above minimum wage. I was about to give in and take a desk job when I applied for my dream job. It sounded like they were looking for someone that had way more experience than I had, but I could try, right?

I got an interview and went in with the full knowledge that this probably either had massive strings attached or was just not what it claimed to be. I walked out of the interview with a job offer at my dream job – a writer. And not just any writer, but a writer that could use what I am best at- collecting lots of information and making it interesting for the average person!

Now, a year later, I still love my job. Better still, having my steady job freed up time to devote to my personal life; which had before been sorely lacking. I went big into online dating and, after a series of dismal first dates and a couple of mediocre second dates, found my boyfriend. This month will be our sixth together and I still get butterflies every time I see him.

So, you see this year has been one of many changes and many improvements to my life. They say that August is “Weed Month” because this is the month that growth occurs the most. Well, my life has certainly grown like a weed in the past year.

I hope that you can see my story as a hopeful one in your own lives. Never give up, never surrender. I know that it may not seem like it sometimes, but you can make a living as a writer and be successful while enjoying yourself. I am thankful every day that I get to live out my passion.

Remember that writing is inspired by life.  Live the kind of life you want to write about.  Your writing will become richer and more realistic because of it.

A Note from the Book Boost:  Heather, this is a great story.  You are finally living your dream.  Congrats on a great year and a great new relationship.  Keep those butterflies in flight!  Hope you'll join us again in the future here at the Boost.


Want More Heather?




Heather Smith is an ex-nanny. Passionate about thought leadership and writing, Heather regularly contributes to various career, social media, public relations, branding, and parenting blogs/websites. 

She also provides value to nanny service by giving advice on site design as well as the features and functionality to provide more and more value to nannies and families across the U.S. and Canada. Reach her here.  Visit her on the web: click here.

No comments: