Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chinese Food Sets the Mood with Guest Blogger: Britni Hill


Meet debut author Britni Hill 
today at the Book Boost!


It’s that time of year!  February.  And Valentines Day is fast approaching.  All over the place girls and women of all ages are saying to themselves “I wonder what he will plan.”, “I hope I get those earrings.”, “Will he propose?”, and “If he doesn’t plan something…”.  Valentines day brings up all kinds of feelings for people.  Some people love it and can’t get enough.  Others hate it and it’s just a reminder that they are single or not so happy in their relationship.  That they’ve been disappointed before.

It doesn’t just affect women either.  Men get pressured to plan the perfect date.  And let’s admit it most of them aren’t that great at planning ahead for things like holidays or anniversaries.  They are always scrambling around last minute because they forgot or didn’t have a clue what to do.  Now, I’m not saying all of them are this way.  There are a few out there that stay on top of things.  They remember your birthday.  They surprise you.  They buy the perfect gift with plenty of time left to spare.  It’s just like women.  Some like the day and making someone feel special, and some of them don’t.  I’m sure there are plenty of men that have had their fair share of Valentines let downs.

Plenty of my friends have different feelings about this particular day.  I personally could take it or leave it.  Would I enjoy it if the boyfriend planned something and I got to wear a sexy dress and sparkly heels?  Of course.  Am I going to get mad if he doesn’t?  No.  Don’t get me wrong I love love.  I can’t get enough.  In books.  In movies.  I real life.  It doesn’t matter.  I can’t get enough.  I also know my boyfriend and he’s not so big on the romance.  He’s too goofy.  But he makes me laugh and I love him for it.  So I live without elaborate Valentines dates.  We have our own little Valentines tradition.  It happened by accident but 3 years later we’re still doing it.  We get Chinese take out and a Redbox movie.  Simple, just the way I like it.

I think it’s important to remember that you should show the one you love that you love them every day.  Not just one day out of 365.  Maybe that’s why I don’t care so much about our Valentines plans.  Or maybe I’ve just had countless years of disappointing dateless Valentines Days and I’ve decided that I don’t want to be disappointed anymore.  Either way if you love it or hate it it’s hard to ignore it.  You don’t have to be a total cynic you can still love love.  And in the mean time you can read books with handsome heroes that always show their women how they feel and plan the perfect dates.  Like the main male character in my first novel Tears in the Rubble.  I know he’d show his girl the perfect Valentines Day.


A Note from the Book Boost:  I love the idea of your romantic night of Chinese takeout and a movie rental.  Sometimes the simpler the better.  Hope you have a wonderful day (and year) of love and best of luck with the debut release!


Blurb:

Layla Swanson grew up in the lazy, small town of Hollow Oaks and can’t wait to get out.  She has big dreams and big plans in the big city.  Layla has worked hard and her senior year is nearly at its end.  She can’t wait to go away to college.  And she’s one step closer to getting what she wants. Layla isn’t letting anyone get in her way.

Taylor Scott may not be your typical country boy, but he doesn’t mind Hollow Oaks.  His dreams may not be marked on paper and set in stone, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t have them.

A chance meeting between the two childhood friends may have Layla second guessing her longtime plan. Their rekindled friendship is leading them down a path neither one could have foreseen.  But with Layla leaving for college, many challenges face them, especially when she so stubbornly sticks to her solo plan.

Is Taylor’s love enough to convince Layla to let him in?  Or when everything falls apart, will Layla run away?   


Excerpt:

… the corner of her mouth curling as she replayed Taylor swimming away. The look in his eyes as he had watched her smooth sun screen into her skin caused a tingle in her toes and a quiver in her stomach. Drifting off a bit, Layla thought about how much she'd actually miss her country summer days.

A wet finger trailed its way slowly across Layla’s warm stomach, leaving a trail of water droplets behind. She shivered but didn’t move. The finger continued its journey, going up her side now, tickling as it went. 

"Layla," Taylor said finally, his voice quiet but deep, need lingering in the way he said her name.

She rolled to her side on the narrow dock and found Taylor perched on the ladder beside her, his eyes level with hers.

"What?" She asked voice sleepy, contentedness rolling through her body. 

Taylor gripped her thin hip in his hand, a few of his fingers slipping beneath the fabric of her bikini bottoms. The pressure of his fingertips was light but the feeling seared its way to her bones. Electric goose bumps spread across her skin and Layla felt the need to cause the same reaction…

Want More Britni?

Visit her on the web here:   

Pick up a copy of her book today!  Click here.