Monday, January 17, 2011

Book Boost Blogger of the Year Nominee: Maya Jax

Enter to win the 2010 Book Boost Prize Bundle & meet our next Blogger of the Year Award Nominee!


We are back with the next of our carefully selected FIVE guest bloggers from 2010 nominated for the First Annual Book Boost Blogger of the Year Award!


The third nominee is Romantic Comedy author Maya Jax who joins us today to discuss her nominated book Escapades of Romantically Challenged Me.


Recently, I had the honor of reading this premiere novel from Maya and here's my take on it...


THE BOOK:

The debut novel of witty chic lit author Maya Jax, she really knocks it out of the ball park with this one. I just finished reading this book and it was an absolute delight. I simply couldn’t put it down and was only sad that I could hang out with these characters a little longer.

This book is laugh out loud, stomach achingly funny with a cast of characters that I feel like I can call my friends.

And for any writer who has ever poured their heart into a manuscript only to receive rejection letter after rejection letter, this book will both touch your author’s soul and tickle your funny bone.

Lelaina Zane is my new hero and I’ll never be able to look at gummy bears the same way again.

THE AUTHOR:

Maya Jax is an amazingly fresh author with a vibrant voice for cleverly depicting humor, scene descriptions and emotional turmoil. This is an absolute must read and I cannot wait to see what else this author has in store for us in the near future!

---------------

Here’s more about Escapades of Romantically Challenged Me:



Lelaina is trying to make it in LA, but first she has to make it through her trip home... Aspiring screenwriter Lelaina
Zane finally lands a Hollywood break, but it's cut short when her dad has a heart attack and she has to return to her home
town.

Leaving LA for the first time in three years, she returns home to be with her family. And now that she's back, her parents want her to stay and join the family law firm. After three years of unsuccessfully trying to 'make it' in Hollywood, she thinks they might be right. But soon after settling into her new life, Hollywood calls with a potential offer.

Lelaina has to decide if she'll stay for her ailing father and the promise of a successful life, or return to LA to pursue what she's always wanted. Torn between her two choices, the decision becomes even harder when her cheating ex -- her first love, first kiss and first... you know -- reappears with apologies and a proposition.


Recently, I chatted with Maya and here's what she had to say...



TBB: Is there a message in your book that you hope readers will really get?



MJ: That it's very hard to balance life with what you want. No matter what your goal, there will always be obstacles and people that don't agree with what you can do. Don't listen!!


TBB: What has been your biggest reward as an author thus far in your career?



MJ: Knowing that it makes people laugh. At the end of the day, I think that's all you really need.


TBB: Give me one quote (from yourself/by yourself) about being a writer.



MJ: "Don't quit! Part of the process is being knocked down and getting back up."


TBB: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?



MJ: Batman.


TBB: What is your favorite breakfast food?



MJ: Cheerios. I would choose them as my last meal.


TBB: What is your worst habit?



MJ: Talking myself out of my initial gut reaction.


TBB: What song lyrics get stuck in your head most often?



MJ: Mamma Mia (ABBA)


TBB: If someone wrote a biography about you, what should the title be?



MJ: Diary of a Lipstick Ninja


TBB: Thanks for joining us at the Book Boost, Maya and best of luck with this nomination and your future writing!




My best,
Kerri Nelson
Owner, The Book Boost


Want More?

Be sure to visit Maya at her website here:

And pick up your own copy of Escapades.
Click here.


Contest Time:


DON'T Forget to come back on February 4th when VOTING will commence for your choice of Book Boost Blogger of the Year!


AND everyone who comments on any of the 5 nominee blog posts will be entered to win the HUGE 2010 Book Boost Prize Bundle! Every comment counts as 1 entry! So, visit and comment often for more chances to win.


See you again on January 21st (this Friday) for our next nominee, Kate Richards!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maya Great interview, love what I am hearing about "Escapades of Romantically Challenged Me"! It sounds right up my alley *grin*.

I agree with your quote:
"Don't quit! Part of the process is being knocked down and getting back up."

It is a philosophy I share, it gets hard, but we do what we need to to get what and where we want.
(I so wish there was an easier way!)

Congratulations & Good Luck!

One more book to add to my must get list!