Monday, September 13, 2010

In the Mood for a Futuristic Romance? Chat with author Miriam Newman!

Win signed copy of Scion by author Miriam Newman today at the Book Boost!

TBB: Welcome to a dear friend of mine and a mega talented author, Miriam Newman.

MN: Hi, Everybody, and thanks to Kerri for inviting me to the Book Boost Blog!

TBB: Tell us your latest news.

MN: My latest news is the appearance in print of my best-selling ebook, Scion, a futuristic romance.

TBB: How did you come up with the title for this book?

MN: With my love of all things Medieval, it was not difficult to make the leap from the use of this word in Medieval Germany (meaning a descendent of nobility) to its use in outer space. A quantum leap? No, no, my head has been doing things like that for years. Which leads us to…

TBB: When did you first consider yourself a writer?

MN: The first time I held a pencil.

TBB: When and why did you begin writing?

MN: When I commandeered my mother’s shopping list and wrote my first “novel” on the back of it. Actually, I printed, ‘cause I couldn’t write in cursive yet.

TBB: What are your current projects?

MN: I am very excited that my first historical novel, The Comet, will release late this year or early next. It’s a romance based in 1066 around William the Conqueror’s invasion of England—a time period that has always fascinated me, though I doubt I would have wanted to experience it personally! Between sighting Halley’s Comet which they considered a harbinger of doom and expecting to be invaded by two foreign armies, the English must have been scared stiff.

TBB: Please share a blurb and excerpt with us from Scion.

Blurb:

After eight years as a rebellious sex slave on the planet Thelona, Lela is weary and jaded.

Caius, forced into the lifestyle of the idle rich by his return to Thelona after eight exciting years in the Mercenary Corps, thinks he has only bought a night’s pleasure.

They never expect what happens next.

Excerpt:

The girl had sixteen years by Danaali’s sun. That age would be slightly more on some planets, a bit less on others, but by any estimation she had reached the age of flowering. Her skin was the color of milk from the nonnis she herded for her father, her hair was blue-black and shiny and her eyes were clear, startling blue offset by coal-black lashes. Her features were pert, with a slightly uptilted nose, full lips the color of berries and a sweetly rounded chin. The marble column of her throat led to perfectly formed shoulders and delicate collar bones visible beneath her youthful, supple skin. Her breasts had ripened. She was untouched…perfect. She was worth a fortune.

“Sixteen latares,” the slave trader said.



Want More Miriam?

Visit her website here: www.miriamnewman.com
Or one of her blogs here:
www.theblueroseblog.blogspot.com
(romance and historical)
www.thebluemoonblog.blogspot.com
(fantasy and science fiction)
www.thecelticroseblog.blogspot.com
(Celtic themes)


Watch the Exciting Trailer (Designed by Book Boost Designs)!
Click here!

Be sure to Pick up Your Copy of her Book Today!
Click here!



Contest Time:

If you’d like to enter a drawing for an autographed copy of Scion, just leave a comment with your email address. Winner will be drawn in one week and posted in the Recent Winners box in the right hand column of the blog. Please check back to see if you've won and to claim your prize.

11 comments:

Adele Dubois said...

Loved your book Scion, Miriam. Can't wait to read your upcoming historical. Best of luck!

--Adele

Susan Blexrud said...

Though I know Miriam and her wonderful work, I wasn't aware of the derivation of the word, Scion. Fascintaing! Thanks for the lovely interview, Miriam and Kerri.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Miriam,

Love the book cover here. This sounds really good. Enjoyed the excerpt.I like how you came up with the title for your book. I had wondered about it.

Sign me up for the contest. info@kmnbooks.com

I remember when Comet was a work in progress. Congratulations on the upcoming release. Fantastic!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Forgot to say that I enjoyed the trailer, too. :)

DCL Publications said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DCL Publications said...

Lady Miriam continues to gain loyal readers to her novels with her well written plots. We love having her part of the DCL fam!

Miriam Newman said...

Thanks, everybody. Don't worry, Karen, you're in there. The new book should be out in December. I'll keep everybody posted. That one was a lot of fun to write, too.

Vicky said...

Wow, I read part of Scion in draft form when Miriam had it up in front of her critique group. It was amazing! So glad to see it in print!

Vicky

Miriam Newman said...

Thanks, Vicki. That critique group has done itself proud! I have published everything I ever put up there.

Jennifer Mathis said...

wow some how I missed this book. but after the excerpt I will have to change that :)

meandi09@yahoo.com

Miriam Newman said...

Thank you, Jennifer. If you like the sci-fi/futuristic genre, I hope you might like this book. There's going to be a sequel, too.