Tuesday, March 29, 2011

More than a Happy Ending with Guest Blogger: Sandra Cox

Welcome back author Sandra Cox for her monthly blog spot here at the Boost.

Here's what she had to say...



What do you look for in a book? What takes it from mediocre to good and from good to outstanding? Do you look for plot, suspense, romance, eroticism? What are you after when you read?


I’m a romance writer but romance isn’t the first thing I look for in a book. I like a strong storyline. My preference: a good suspense, hopefully with paranormal elements and a great romance woven through it like fine wine, subtle so it doesn’t overpower. Too much of anything can be a turn off, at least for me.


I want characters that are so real they suck me right into the book and into their world. That means I have to know more than what they’re wearing. I need to know what makes them tick. How they got that scar on their temple. What’s their favorite cologne? What trauma in their childhood formed their personality?


Setting is also important. Is that couch they’re sitting on comfortable enough to sink into? Has she had her first cup of coffee and did the aroma make her weak in the knees. Does the dark clouds and hot, heavy air account for the tension she’s feeling? Writing setting is a fine line. While the details are important, I don’t want so many that my mind wanders.


There’s a lot that goes into writing an exceptional story. Besides, a strong story line, great character development and setting, the story also needs to flow smoothly and have understandable POV.


And the icing on the cake, at least for me...I want a happy ending.


A Note from the Book Boost: I know what you mean, Sandra. So much goes into creating the perfect scene. Too much of something can be a turn off while too little of something can leave you feeling empty. A fine line sometimes for sure.


Want More Sandra?


Visit her blog for updates here: http://sandracox.blogspot.com/

No comments: