Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Harvest the Love & the Law with Guest Blogger: Nina Pierce


Win a copy of Blind Love and chat with author Nina Pierce today at the Book Boost!


Recently, we chatted with naughty Nina and here's what she had to say...


TBB: When and why did you begin writing?


NP: I first sat down to write six years ago when my multiple sclerosis forced my retirement from teaching. Thank goodness I strapped in and held on, because it’s been one heck of a ride.


TBB: How did you come up with the title for this book?



NP: I wanted all the books in the Tilling Passions series to have titles containing the word “Love”. Deirdre, the heroine, is a landscaper which made me think of harvesting, which made me think of bountiful harvests. (I rarely try to explain my warped thought process … so just go with it. LOL!) Love’s Bounty just seemed to fit with Ayden and Deirdre’s love story. Out of the chaos of a drug bust gone wrong, they “harvest” true love.


TBB: I totally understand your thought process there. Should I be worried? LOL
How did you come up with the idea for this book?


NP: Love’s Bounty is the second book in a romantic suspense series. I love “alphabet guys”. You know, CIA, DEA, FBI, RCMP … they’re just so darn alpha and sexy and I really wanted to write a story about one. So Ayden Scott, DEA agent was born. Of course you can’t have the DEA without some drug running and a nasty drug Lord pushing his way up the Maine coast. Deirdre Tilling just happened to be the perfect woman to fall in love with him.


TBB: Right up my alley. What are you working on next?



NP: I have several projects going at the moment. I’m currently writing the third story in a contemporary erotic romance BDSM series, titled Slave to His Desire. I’m also rewriting the third book in the Tilling Passions series, Arranging Love, which I hope to release by the end of August.

I’ve also recently gotten the rights back to a vampire story and I’m working to expand it and turn it into a series. And like many writers, I have characters from new stories clamoring to have their stories told. As you can see, I’m not at a loss for things to keep me busy. It’s trying to wrangle in my muse and keep her focused during these warm days of summer that becomes a challenge!


TBB: My muse is being a bit of a work-a-holic these days as well. I can relate. But your projects sound fabulous. Since you spend all this time writing, what does your family think of your writing?



NP: So many times you hear erotic romance authors say they keep their writing secret from their family and friends for various reasons. I am so fortunate to be able to share my writing with my family. Of course I have grown children, which makes a difference (and offers interesting topics of conversation for my son’s fraternity) because I don’t have to hide much from them.

Mr. Nina is proud of me and touts himself as my “research assistant”— and a fine one he is! The funniest person is my mom, who buys all of my books, but apologizes because she just couldn’t possibly read them. LOL! I love my mom!


TBB: Oh, that is too cute! My grandmother reads all of mine and tells me "you kids just think you invented sex". She makes a good point. Most people like to tell their story about the first time they found out they would be published...what your reaction to the news?



NP: I cried. Then I ran out to a softball game Mr. Nina was at and told anyone who would listen. Of course I cried some more. (Then again, I cry at Hallmark commercials.)


TBB: I cry at commercials too--but we're artistic and that makes it okay.
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?


NP: Jacques Ives Cousteau. Seriously. I wanted to hang out on his ship and scuba dive every day. But writing was a close second. *g*


TBB: What is your favorite breakfast food?



NP: Eggos with yogurt and raspberries.


TBB: That sounds fairly healthy. I'm not a breakfast person.
Lastly, iIf someone wrote a biography about you, what should the title be?


NP: The Mouth That Never Stops


TBB: I love it! You're my kind of gal. Thanks for joining us today and please don't forget to leave us with a blurb and excerpt of your latest book.



Blurb:

A woman determined to protect her heart…

Landscaping in Delmont, Maine hasn’t been Deirdre Tilling's only passion. Up until two months ago, it had included a live-in lover. Jilted for the third time in as many years, Deirdre’s decided to give up on love. With her feet firmly planted on the path of one night stands, she finds herself heating up the sheets with a dark haired stranger she met at her new employer’s party. But one night with the man who is both sexy as hell and compassionate, may not be enough.

An agent hell bent on proving himself…

DEA agent, Ayden Scott, has a lot to prove after a disastrous drug bust in Miami three years earlier that left a member of his team dead. Working undercover as lead investigator, he’s determined to bring down an elusive drug cartel smuggling heroin into central Maine. He’ll use any means necessary to complete his objective, including sleeping with the suspected drug Lord’s landscaper, Deirdre. He just hadn’t expected the feisty redhead to be so much more than long legs and dangerous curves.

One night neither of them can forget…

Deirdre and Ayden both thought one sexually explosive romp in the sack would be the end of their relationship. But Deirdre’s arrest for heroin possession and her father’s near-fatal heart attack prompts Ayden to confess his true identity. When Deirdre is kidnapped by the drug cartel and used as a pawn, Ayden is forced to choose between his heart and his mission. The question is…who will survive his decision?


Excerpt:

Cautious, and working to keep his jangled nerves from pumping his legs in a dead run, Ayden strolled to the shelter of the dinghy. The noise grew louder. Ayden realized he wasn’t moving away from the sound. He was aimed right toward it. What a fool. It was a beautiful fall night. No doubt lovers were using the upended craft for a little private party of their own.


Turning on his heel, he started to walk away, when the noise came again. It wasn’t the moan of sexual pleasure. It was the keening sound of sadness. Someone was crying. And from the quiet hiccupping, it was female.


Ayden shot a longing look over his shoulder, debating between the refuge of the path and the complications under the boat.


Chivalry won out and he stepped warily around the bow.


The redhead sat on the wooden slats, her bare feet digging restlessly in the sand, her face cupped in her hands. Between shuddering breaths, she sputtered angrily into her bent knees, but her tears and her fingers kept the words from him.


“Uh-hmm.” He cleared his throat, not knowing how else to get her attention.


“Holy shit…” She tried to jump to her feet, but banged her head on the iron rigging attached to the upside of the boat and fell back down. “Fuck.” Her hand flew to her head.


“I’m sorry, you okay?” Ayden reached for her, but she shook him off.


“I’m fine.”


She looked up at him. Even in the pale light, he could see the sadness in her eyes.


“Actually, I’m not all right.” She pushed herself up, ducking her head away from the oarlock. She wiped at the sand on her bottom. “You scared the living shit out of me.”


Biting back a smile, Ayden watched her glistening tears turn to fury. That he could handle. An angry woman was one hundred times easier to placate than a despondent one.


“Again, I apologize.” He held his hand out as a peace offering. “I’m Austin Schaeffer.” How easily that name slipped off his tongue.


“Deirdre Tilling,” She shook the hand he offered.


Her grip was surprisingly firm. Ayden liked the touch of her palm against his skin. Not all soft and pliant, but callused and rough. He wondered how it would feel running up his back.


She was a beautiful woman. Her breasts swelled enticingly just above the bodice of her dress. Her long, muscular legs that he’d admired in the great room, started somewhere around her neck. No wonder Jameson had been seducing this lovely creature.


Jameson. Right. He mentally shook his head. Focus, Ayden. Tonight was about gathering information, not sexual conquests. But then again, there was that two birds and one stone thing.


“You come to Jameson’s parties often?” He immediately slipped into detective mode.


She pulled her hand from his and rubbed at the spot on her head. “What? Jameson? Oh, Shawn. No, never been to one of his parties. I’m one of his employees. Damn, this hurts. It’s already forming an egg.”


Ayden ignored the fact she’d called the owner Shawn. Obviously, he wasn’t getting any action from an employee who referred to her boss by his first name.


“Here, let me take a look at it.” He ran his fingers through her hair. It was soft as silk sliding over his hand. “Oh, yeah. You did a nice job. Probably could use a little ice.” At this rate, so could he, but not on the head on his shoulders.


“I did a nice job? Me? You were the one sneaking up like some pirate looking for lost treasure.”


The woman had no idea how close to the truth she was.



Want More Nina?

Visit her website here: www.ninapierce.com

Pick up your copy of her book today! Click here.



Contest Time:

Leave a question or comment for Nina and be entered to win an ebook copy of Blind Love, the first book in the Tilling Passons series.


**Winners for Book Boost prizes are drawn the first week of the following month and posted in the Recent Winners box in the right hand side of the blog. Check back to see if you are a winner and to claim your prize! Please leave your contact information in your blog post!**

3 comments:

Nina Pierce said...

Thanks so much for letting me join you today. I love chatting about my books.

Na said...

Hi Nina!
I admire your tenacity for dealing with multiple sclerosis in such a tangible way with writing books.

I enjoy the romantic suspense genre and share your love for "alphabet" men. What's not to love about a man who is strong, brave and proven :) I find with suspense, it is action-packed and I am very involved in the story. Also with such worthy men there are equally special women for them.

Nina Pierce said...

Na - I'm so happy I found writing! Deirdre definitely challenges Ayden. She's the perfect woman to treasure his heart. :D