Wednesday, August 24, 2011

There's Something About Mary with Guest Author: Mary Abshire




Meet paranormal author Mary Abshire today at the Book Boost!


We recently had a chat with her and here's what she had to say...





TBB: Where are you from?


MA: I grew up a Hoosier (in Indiana), but I spent a lot of time with family in Arizona. My in-laws are from Louisiana, but the mosquitoes and flying roaches keep me from visiting much. Love the food. Hate the critters, and there are plenty!


TBB: Tell me about it. I live in the south and the mosquitoes are the size of gators down here. Tell us, when and why did you begin writing?

MA: I dabbled with writing in my early twenties, but didn't do anything with the short story I wrote. With other priorities consuming my life, I gave up writing. My heart just wasn't all there at the time. A couple of years ago, I realized I had time to write. I gave it a try and realized I enjoy writing very much. I shopped my first two novels around, but after time I decided to shelve them and move on. They really need some serious work and I'm more interested in writing other stories. Maybe one day I'll revisit my YA paranormal. It had a good plot, but for a first novel, it really needs work.


TBB: What is your latest news?

MA: My 4th Soul Catcher novel, Love Conquers All Evil, just came out. Also, I recently finished my WIP, The Quest. It's the sequel to my UF novel, The Awakening, which comes out January 2012 from Lyrical Press. After I polish The Quest, I'll shop it around and see what happens.


TBB: Congrats on your success! That's a lot of projects. What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

MA: I drink a lot of water. Seriously. I suck down water bottles like my life depended on the substance. In a normal evening (3-4 hrs writing time on average), I drink at least 4 bottles. I'm a waterholic. And yes, I recycle.


TBB: Sounds healthy. I do the same thing but with Pepsi. Not quite as healthy. LOL What advice to you have for other writers?

MA: Write every day, even if you only write 500 words or a page. Read too, every day. Don't let rejection stop you from going for your dream. I can't tell you how many times I got rejected. I shrug it off and move on.


TBB: Sage advice. Since you read every day, what book are you reading now?

MA: First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. I love it.


TBB: I've heard great things about this one as well. Now for a couple quirky questions for you to help readers get to know you better, what is your favorite breakfast food?

MA: Special K with vanilla and almonds. Yum!


TBB: Special K was a nickname I had in high school. :-) How about music, what song lyric gets stuck in your head most often?

MA: "And it feels better than love" by Hurts. The song is so damn catchy I can't get the lyrics out of my head.


TBB: I've never heard it. I don't think. But thanks for sharing and for joining us today. Do you have any final words for our readers?

MA: Thank you for stopping by. My 4th Soul Catcher novel is now available. When I started writing the series a little over a year ago, I never thought I would have 4 books out in less than a year. Needless-to-say, it's been very exciting and busy for me. I enjoyed writing each one, but this latest is my favorite. I'm not sure if I'll keep the series going. I have several different projects going on right now. Since the Soul Catcher series was my first, it will always have a special place in my heart. Long live Jessie and Drake!


TBB: Thanks, Mary and good luck on the series. Please share a blurb and excerpt with us before you go.


Blurb:

Welcome to arctic Alaska, free from vampires and home to humans, demons, and werewolves.

After months of moving and hiding from the VETOV, Drake and Jessie settle into a small Alaskan town. They soon discover a serial killer is on the loose and it's a demon stealing good souls. As Jessie mingles with locals from the demon community and investigates the murders, she bumps into a werewolf she had hoped she would never see again. More trouble arises and Jessie reaches out to Alan, the Alpha she met in Arizona.

Together, Drake and Alan seek to eliminate the threat against Jessie, but removing the werewolf may come with a steep price for the Alpha.

In a matter of a few days, Jessie battles for survival, and her own soul, while maintaining a feverish love for Drake. Demons and werewolves won't stop this half-demon soul catcher from sending evil souls to hell, or spending eternity with her noble vampire.


Excerpt:

"So now that I'm here, what will you have me do?" I asked.


"That is a good question. What shall I do with you?"


I glanced over my shoulder at him. In Jeremy's image, I could look at him and not feel any emotion. When he appeared as Drake, my heart ached.


"I could keep you here as my personal slave, which intrigues me, or I could send you back," he said.


My lower lip quivered. Both options made me want to vomit. Bottom line, I'd never see Drake again. I didn't care what happened to me anymore. Stripped of hope and the man I loved, nothing could cheer me up.


"I admit, you are a valuable asset to me in the living world. However, the longer I stare at your beautiful body, the more I want to keep you for myself."


"I don't care what you do with me. Just decide," I said, staring at the tranquil sea. Decide and let me move on.


He chuckled. "Jessie, you are one of my favorites. I can sense the fight still within you. I like that."


A dark shadow loomed from above, drawing my attention away from the conversation. Shielding my eyes from the bright sun, I glanced up and found a massive pair of wings in the sky. I peered closer. The wings connected to a man's body. Holy shit!


The winged man dropped like a cannonball from the sky to the beach. He smacked the ground hard, creating a tremor that made my teeth chatter. The glasses on the counter shook, spilling tea over the rim of one of them.


"What the . . . ." I said softly.


"Indeed," the devil said. He passed me and headed for the winged man.


I ran to catch up, staying off to the side of the devil. My feet slipped in the sand and I flung out my arms, trying to keep from falling. A few feet ahead, the man kneeled on one knee with his head down. His large brown wings contracted toward his body. Where on Earth, er—hell, did such a creature come from?


The winged man slowly lifted his head and rose. He had short, blond hair shining in the sun. Muscles graced his bare arms and chest. A pair of tight pants covered his lower extremities and legs. I marveled at his large size. Even without his wings spread, he was a robust creature, and well over six feet in height. Something else I noticed about him. He had a soft sheen around him, a glow that magnified his beauty.



Want More Mary?

Visit her website here: http://www.maryabshire.com

Follow her on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/maryabshire

Pick up your copy of her book today! Click here.

No comments: