Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Get Inspired with Guest Blogger Seleste deLaney

Win a snowflake bath fizzy set (from the Book Boost) and meet Evernight author Seleste deLaney!

The second author up from our 13 author anthology entitled 'Twas a Dark & Delicious Christmas is Seleste deLaney who is here to chat about getting inspired this holiday season. Here's what she had to say...


Hi all! For those who don’t know me, I’m Seleste deLaney and I write romantic stories with a strong hit of paranormal or steampunk (the sci-fi is coming too, I just need time to write it!). My contribution to ‘Twas a Dark and Delicious Christmas is called Yes, Alana, There Is a Santa Claus.

It follows the story of Alana—a young woman hit by a world of bleakness and despair as she works multiple jobs trying to scrape by. As one of the mall elf, she is confronted by both painful reality and the magic, love, and hope of the season. I hope you enjoy her story, but for today, let’s talk inspiration.

When I sat down to write this particular story, I started with a blank slate. I knew it would have paranormal aspects to it, but I wasn’t sure what those would be. While I was raised Catholic, my beliefs now are of a much more eclectic variety and I felt doing something like angels for this would be wrong of me. So I started looking at other possibilities.

I already had a vampire holiday story coming out, so I crossed them off the list. Besides, I don’t want to be just known as a vampire author (not that there’s anything wrong with vamp-only authors, I just don’t want to get a "WTF" from readers when I do different things down the road).

Weres? I will say I pondered this one for a long time. I love wolves and werewolves and all the mystery and power inherent in that mythology. Plus, werewolves at the holidays? In the snow? Yeah, very there…too bad I didn’t have a story to go with it.

So many possibilities went through my head to be discarded quickly. Demons? Horny, but not very Christmas-y. Selkies? How do you do the tree thing underwater? Unicorns? There’s that horn thing again. Dragons? I mean, who doesn’t love a nice hot dragon? Okay, as you can tell, much giggling ensued over some of my ideas.

To get on a more serious track, I pondered the holiday classics (I like twisting the classics to meet my needs). When I got to It’s a Wonderful Life, I had the flicker of an idea—a main character whose life is so miserable it’s a wonder she can even think about the holidays at all…but I didn’t want to do angels. Then I snagged Miracle on 34th Street and put my character at the mall as one of Santa’s elves. I remember the smile that crossed my face with the thought of “now all you need is a little magic.” So I added a gorgeous guy whose ears are a little too pointy and his smile bright enough to eclipse the tree in Rockefeller Center.

Alana never knew what hit her. ;-)

A Note from the Book Boost: Oh, how I love a magical tale! Sounds like a real charmer and thanks so much for joining us today at the Boost. Thrilled to be working with you on this project, Seleste. Oh, and the Book Boost donated a prize to go along with your nice post. Hope you don't mind. ;-)


From a review of Seleste deLaney's story by Happily Ever After Reviews (a five tea cup review*):

Alana didn’t care for Christmas all it meant to her was struggling to make ends meet as her co-workers and friends go have a good time. Alana knew that she wanted to have sex with co-worker Santa Daniel. Brady has been in the background for a while wanting Alana but she wanted Daniel but with a little Christmas magic their night came together when Daniel overstepped his bounds and Brady stepped in and saved Christmas for Alana. There is a Santa it just may not be who you thought he was.




Want More Seleste?

Visit her website here: http://selestedelaney.com/Seleste_DeLaney/Welcome.html
Or her blog here: http://selestedelaney.com/wordpress/
Follow her on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/SelestedeLaney


Contest Time
:

All contests from today's blogs will run until 11:59 p.m. (CST) on Friday December 10th. Winners selected by the Book Boost via random draw and posted here on the blog on Saturday, December 11th. Be sure to leave your contact information in your comment, we will not hunt you down!

Enter each author's contest individually by posting a comment or question. Check back throughout the day for more chances to win great prizes!

The Book Boost is giving away a snowflake set of bath fizzies to one lucky soul. Tell us about what inspires you this holiday season. Good Luck to all.

9 comments:

A.D Blackburn said...

Seleste deLaney rocks mah world, ya'll.
A great post from a great story tellier! MUAH!

Rene Broux said...

Seleste deLaney is going places. She really pulls you into her stories.

Vivi Dumas said...

I love Seleste's writing. I can't wait to read the holiday stories. Congrats!

Vivi

Seleste deLaney/Julie Particka said...

Thanks, Ladies :) *hugs and vodka all around*

Unknown said...

This looks delicious. :)

Valerie Mann said...

Holiday music inspires me. Is that cliche? But seriously, I would start listening to it right after Halloween if people around me would let me! I think I release endorphins or something, LOL Great blog, Seleste! And I agree, your writing is going to take you places!

JoAnne Kenrick said...

Indeed, Seleste's writing pulls me in, too! It's hard to find writers who can write well in the present POV. So when i find one, I cling to their every word...and books!

Congrats on the new release, Seleste :)

And on the holiday music, I LOVE IT!!! Nothing like holiday music and a Mince Pie to get ya in the spirit of the holidays xx

Happy Xmas all

Jax said...

Sel, I loved this story! I can only imagine all the laughs you had with your other ideas, but the story you wrote was superb. I can't wait to get my hands on your next one.

Andrea I said...

The Christmas music, trees and decorations.


andrea.infinger@gmail.com